Wednesday, August 8, 2007

CS Assignment 1

The primary elements in architecture are:
Point, Line, Plane and Volume.

I am using the definition of point, line, and plane to define different spaces to complete the task.

A point as the prime generator of form indicates a position in space.

A point extended becomes a width properties of length/direction/position.

A line extended becomes a with properties of shape, surface, orientation.
If we are looking from the plan view, I use the columns as a point that gradually transform into a line (small wall) then become a plane (larger wall) and volume (open and close spaces). To demonstrate this, I use the shadow to show the transition (see below diagram)


2 different zones are establish by having open space (zone A), and close space (zone B).

The blue wall is shared between 2 zones, it is my intention mark/suggest transitional wall that is part of 2 zones.







This diagram model to show the gradual transition as the person moving toward the structure












The transition was disrupted by 2 walls that creates an opening that draws the person in.












Once the person enter the structure, a hint of object Trouve and solid walls leading the person to enter the space that holds the Object Trouve.

4 comments:

werner said...

Felix,
27 years ago I was doing one of my sketch problems with Mies’ country house. Some things are just timeless.
I enjoy your presentation, the graphics explaining the different transitions; you nailed it with AT and LT. The GT needs some more work as the zone A itself is in your diagram the gradual transition. Zone A and B are supposed to be sub spaces of the larger Space. A second, smaller space needs to be labeled. I’m not quite getting why you are introducing the point-line-volume game; it’s not contributing to solving the assignment.

F.R. said...

Werner,

I'm using point-line explanation because it was important explanation for me, to describe the elements that I'm using for my gradual transition designs.
I was hoping by identifying the elements first people would understand my works better.

Since this is a progress work, more updates to follow.

Thanks

Berardi + Partners - Architects and Engineers said...

Felix, awesome work!!! Great presentation. I'm glad to see that you are continuing on from the first semester as a leader in this class. As also I have tried to do, I am glad to see that you have not ignored the inherent geometry that is implied by the site that we were givin. Often as architects we are giving problems in which the site or the existing envelope is not easily ignorable...,?... and I applaude your dramitc use of the original geometry.

Anne McQuown said...

Simple, I enjoy your clear simple design solution. I think a lot of us tried to add too much, when we found out we could use as many items as we wished.